Saturday, September 6, 2014

Absalon won the Men's XCO Worlds; DH predictions

Within the past 5 years or maybe more I would have rather seal-clubbed my mother's skull than bet against a Swissie winning a World Cup-level XC race. The exception being Julien Absalon, who I thought was now over the hill a bit. Apparently not; Frenchie can ride, and he is once again your World Champ. Big ups.

This is a big sports Saturday, and locally we have BSU vs. CSU. You'll likely pay attention to the show surrounding that for the next 24hr. Don't hate me, but I went to CSU, and I want them to win. On another level, BSU is Idaho's closest thing to a professional team, and as a homer I'm fine if they get over. In the grand scheme of things, however, it means nothing compared to the DH World Championships tomorrow morning.

Hopefully you read my last post and some of the links and got Vital's take on who might win. I feel compelled to put my money where my mouth is right now and say that I don't think Loic Bruni will win. This year. He will get his Worlds, just not in 2014. So, here are my predictions.

World Champ: Josh Bryceland

Why? Yeah, Sam Hill straight up pinned it in the final at Meribel and got the win. Good on him. He had pressure and he freaking won. Josh, on the other hand, merely had to finish better than 26th to secure the overall World Cup win. Given that, here's what everyone is telling Josh, "Eye on the prize, buddy. Just don't wreck. Take it easy. Safe lines and you win the World Cup Overall."

Josh finished less than a second back of Hill in 3rd. Talking it easy. I think he is in his zone.

WC Silver:
Stevie Smith...wait no....he's not racing, so how's about Gee Atherton here.









WC Bronze:
Loic. He's young, French, disciplined, has sick style, and it's only a matter of time. I slot him here because I like the kid.










4th. Minnaar:
Greg is the current World Champ and one of my favorite racers of all time. This year he came into the series hurt but still competitive. He went off course in OZ, and the UCI DQ'd him for that race because he re-entered the course a few feet further down than he exited. No time advantage, but it's a new rule and it meant he basically couldn't win the World Cup overall. He rode through with a slew of top ten finishes, but he is clearly saving it for this race, and God know's the man is capable.



5th. Sam Hill:
He cannot be counted out. Ever. Even if he is a savant.










Prove me wrong. That's the thrill, and I'm all in for this. BTW, The one guy who might make me look totally foolish: Aaron Gwin.

- BC

UPDATE: I'm gutted for Josh. He had it...and had he just scrubbed the final jump he'd be World Champ and I would've been correct in my predictions for 1 and 2. Well, that's racin' folks. Love it.




No comments:

Post a Comment