Thursday, September 4, 2014

Come get it: MTB World Championships this Weekend

NORWAY is upon you, whether you would risk it or not, my friends. Specifically, scenic and gnarly Hafjell, Norway, host to this week's Mountain Bike World Championships.












As of this post, the Junior cross country (XCO) finals are over, and if you were hoping for a crushing display by the US kiddies and a future full of DEFCON 1 'Merican domination in that discipline, you can just roll back into a nice fetal position and begin sobbing now. The USA's best placing girl Jr. rider came in 27th, and nationally we rank 12th. For the boys, our best was a promising 8th, but our next best was way back there in 46th, placing us 9th in rankings by nation. That's not so good. Maybe we should stop giving out all those trophies for participation now, eh?

Sidebar: Before you get on me for calling them "girls" and "boys" just ask yourself what a simpler term for a
"Junior Women" is. Likewise, I refuse to call boys a "Junior Men." They're lucky I'm not calling them "fawns."


Coverage for this weekend's events begins with Women's XC finals at 3:50am on Saturday the 6th, with the Men's XC finals following at 6:20 am. That's rough, I know. I've said it before: cycling doesn't make it easy to be a fan of cycling. I know I won't be up at 3:50 streaming Women's XC racing, but maybe that's your cup of tea. Knock yourselves out with that while I'm saving my energy for the DH Finals on Sunday morning starting at 4:05 am (all times Mountain Standard).

Go here to stream http://live.redbull.tv/events/371/2014-uci-mountain-bike-and-trials-world-championships-hafjell-xce/

or if you're having issues there (I heard rumors we might not be getting the Red Bull live stream), this should get you to an alternate streaming site if one comes up http://www.cyclingfans.com/mountain-biking/live

I'll write more over the weekend, but if you're into DH and want to bone up on who will be pinning, here are Vital's Power-Rankings-that-I don't-agree-with http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-Power-Rankings-2014-Downhill-World-Championships-The-15-Fastest-Going-In,783

Have a read and we'll discuss later. Go on, be a fan.
It's worth it.
-BC




No comments:

Post a Comment